With the holidays upon us, it’s high time to decide how to make the most of winter break in Champaign-Urbana. Here are some suggestions from West Quad student apartments to help celebrate the holidays in style.
Where Can You See Some Holiday Lights?
It’s safe to say Chambana gets into the holiday spirit. So much of the area looks like a holiday gift card that you might think you’ve walked into Hallmark town. Here are a few places that go hard to the paint and keep up with your own holiday decorating.
- Winter Nights at Porter Park is the perfect place for an evening stroll and check out some great festive flair. From Nov. 27 to Jan. 3 the entire trail around the park pond is decked out with an insane amount of lights to illuminate your evening.
- Lighting Up The Croft is one of the most impressive home lighting displays in Champaign-Urbana and actually syncs with the music on 106.5 FM. Be sure to stream or tune to the station for the full effect.
How About Something a Bit More Active?
As fun as a bite to eat and a walk can be, there’s more to life than food and putting one foot in front of the other. Here are a couple of options for people who’d like more active things to do in Champaign, during the holidays.
- Arrowhead Lanes and Western Bowl just off of Prospect Avenue are both open every day during the holiday break. And it’s not just bowling either! Along with bowling lanes they boast 18 holes of black light mini-golf!
- CUVolunteer connects local volunteers with organizations that need their help with everything from tutoring kids to delivering meals to seniors, and they especially need help during the holidays. Not a bad way to spend some free time and pay it forward.
What Restaurants are Open During the Holiday in Campustown?
While you can always whip up a meal in your stellar kitchen at West Quad, it’s good to get out and enjoy what nearby restaurants have to offer. Get your grub on at these restaurants close to the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana campus, that are open every day throughout winter break.
- Wingstop is less than a ten minute walk away from West Quad, has great food at a good price.
- Jet Pizza is right next door to Wingstop and is a West Quad go-to for pizza by the slice even during the holidays.
This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to things to do in Champaign-Urbana. For even more options for places to go and things to do all year round, be sure to check out our West Quad Neighborhood page.